Monday, September 19, 2011

You've Got a Friend in Me


This weekend I found out about the passing of a colleague from my past.  And though I didn't know about it when he died; I have found myself reminiscing about conversations we had and being sad that such a good man died too young. 

Coupled with this loss is the closing of the Casa runaway and homeless youth shelter where I spent the majority of my working career.  I initially worked the overnight shift there when I was working on my Bachelor's Degree then later after I had my Master's Degree I returned as Case Manager and Shelter Director. It was the first program of its kind in Dallas and marking its closure is also a kind of death.  Many of those who worked there over the years from the first Program Director to the last came to the "closing ceremony".  And, as I walked through that empty building, the memories came flooding back.  Some may say, it's only brick and mortar, but those walls were talking to me. The laughter and the tears all came flooding out.  Good works were done inside those walls. Friendships were made and lives were changed. When I left that building I embarked on a new career - to raise my son.  For many years I didn't look back.  I built a new life and let too much time and space come between myself and the people at the Shelter. I regret this now.  For those of you that read this, I am sorry. 

While I am happy for my friend who has found his eternal reward and trust that all my colleagues have found satisfaction in their lives; my experience this weekend causes me to miss the days when we were in each other's lives every day.  And though I know that is no longer possible, I would like to have the opportunity to reconnect with you whenever possible.  You've got a friend in me.  Let's get together. 

You've Got A Friend In Me - Randy Newman
(Toy Story Edition)


No comments: