Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Reboot

I am thrilled to report that Mom will NOT have to have the VP Shunt replaced at this time.

The Neurosurgeon successfully reprogrammed the shunt yesterday using a different machine and said that he doesn't need to see her again for another month. He set the program so that it would not drain a lot of fluid, and will slowly (over a period of months) increase the amount of fluid being drained again. Although, not to the level it had reset itself to...the reason which still remains a mystery; as does the reason his machine was unable to reprogram the shunt the first three times he tried. He said he would contact the manufacturer of the machine to ensure it was working properly. Obviously, if his machine checks out, this could still mean there is a problem with Mom's shunt. If his machine needs recalibration, then Mom's shunt is probably ok. Only time will tell.

Ok...that's a lot of medical babble, but it's good news.

During the visit, Mom was insistent that there is nothing medically wrong with her. She did acknowledge having a fall...on her Patio at home, about "a week ago". (The fall she remembers occurred last "Fall"). Initially, I told her that isn't where she fell, but when she called me a liar and got upset, I let it go. She thinks that it's "Spring" and time to get her tomato's planted.
I asked if she'd visited the vegetable garden at AC, and she said yes, but it isn't "her" garden. After I gave her the medication the staff sent with me, we went for the CT Scan, and I noticed a chip on her glasses. When I told her about it, and said I should make an eye appointment for her, she said, "You are so good to me." I was worried about how she would act when I returned her to AC, but she got out of the car without problem and said, "I hoped you were taking me home. "
My Mother-in-Law visited her a short time later and said that she had a nice visit with her. She reported that Mom said the Doctor gave her a "clean bill of health".

The staff at AC reports that she is becoming agitated more frequently the longer she has been there (approximately 2 weeks if you subtract the days she spent in the hospital because of her fall). I feel confident that this will pass in time, though it may take awhile. Hopefully, her medications can be adjusted give her some relief from her obsessive thoughts. I pray for their patience.

Overall, I'm pleased with the day, and that's all I can ask for.

1 comment:

jedivet said...

That is, of course, all any of us can ask for - to be pleased with the day. Hang in there!