Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Caught in a Trap

My Aunt & Uncle from Illinois visited Mom at the Hospital yesterday. It was another difficult visit. They reported that they barely recognized her, having changed so much since the last time they had seen her in Mexico in January. She's lost 25 pounds since then. They also reported symptoms of extreme anxiety, such as persistent hand rubbing during their conversation. Something I've also noted.

She was happy to see them, and repeatedly told them how much she loved me and my son. She pleaded with them to ask me to take her home and be with her cats, insisting that I have the "power" to come and get her; but W&S told her that it is the Doctor that will determine when she is released. She asked to speak with her Grandson on the telephone (which can be arranged). Sadly, she didn't remember that I had been to visit her in the hospital.

W&S reported that she was wearing the fleece pants that I brought her, but is still wearing one of the hospital shirts. One of the Aides came to take her for a shower when they left.

I know it was hard for W&S to see Mom, not only in a Psychiatric hospital, but in her current emotional and physical condition. It's been heartbreaking and startling to watch her decline these past months and weeks.

I am still concerned that she is experiencing so much anxiety and feel that this needs to be addressed further before she is released from the hospital. My prayers are that she is able to find some peace of mind, relax and find some enjoyment in her days. I know that she's currently still in great distress.

I took W&S to visit the Alzheimer's Facility that I have arranged for Mom to live in after she leaves the hospital. They seemed pleased with the choice. We visited with the Director for a bit. Hopefully, we will be able to move her there very soon.

No comments: