Friday, July 25, 2008

How To Lead Your Life...


You cannot change the cards you are dealt. Just how you play the hand.

Dr. Randy Pausch, a Computer-Science Professor at Carnegie Mellon University, died this morning at age 47 of pancreatic cancer.

Why is this important?

I'm not a computer science major, nor did I ever meet Dr. Pausch personally; but he made a huge impact on me when I watched the following lecture:
(The book is also available)





Dr. Pausch exemplifies & validates the positive attitude that I've aspired to for the last decade. While it is a constant struggle for me to avoid sinking in the morass of negativity, Dr. Pausch inspired me to the core, that the benefits of the struggle are worth the effort.

Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted.

Dr. Paush also taught me to have fun while I'm getting experience.

The brick walls are there for a reason. The brick walls are not there to keep us out; the brick walls are there to give us a chance to show how badly we want something. The brick walls are there to stop the people who don't want it badly enough.

My son's recent experience (see previous entry), encourages me that I am achieving some measure of success at inspiring persistence in the face of adversity.

Thank you Dr. Paush for sharing your thoughts on living life and showing us, by example, that attitude is everything.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Excellent blog. I appreciate your referencing of the quotes you used; there are many I have loved and wanted to quote but had no idea where they came from! Your blog is great, I forgot how smart you are! lol. (just kidding)