Sunday, September 21, 2008

There Is No Dumbass Vaccine


Color me stupid, but since when does being Black mean you shouldn’t respect the National Anthem?

I, for one, am tired of the arrogance of some individuals in this great nation that throw their race around as an excuse; seemingly wallowing in a victim mentality in perpetuity. Josh Howard exemplified this mentality (in spite of the fame & fortune he has achieved) in comments he proudly announced into a camera during Allen Iverson’s charity flag football game last July. Specifically, " 'The Star-Spangled Banner' is going on. I don't celebrate this sh*t. I'm black. G*d damn Obama and all that sh*t.”

In the words of Don Henley & Glen Frey:
You drag it around like a ball and chain
You wallow in the guilt; you wallow in the pain
You wave it like a flag, you wear it like a crown
Got your mind in the gutter, bringin' everybody down
Complain about the present and blame it on the past
I'd like to find your inner child and kick its little ass
All this bitchin' and moanin' and pitchin' a fit
It's gotta stop sometime, so why don't you quit
Get over it.

Mark Cuban says that "Josh really is a good guy with a great heart. He just doesn't do a good job of showing that side of himself publicly. We will work on that."

Ohhh, I see. It’s not WHAT he said, it’s HOW he said it? Riiight.

I don’t want this to be about why Mark Cuban feels the need to make comments on Josh Howard’s behalf, but if it’s a communication problem rather than a character problem, I’d like to hear Josh’s explanation…no excuses.

Mr. Howard, I will be pleased to make my judgement on [sic] the content of your character, and not the color of your skin.

UPDATE 9/29/08, Josh Howard speaks.

See: A Permanent Reminder to a Temporary Situation?

No comments: