Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Mental Floss

I read an article today while searching the Internet that says that for middle-aged and older adults, searching the Internet could be a boost to the brain. Woo Hoo!

I've always enjoyed puzzles and card games, but the internet has become my passion in the last few years. It started when I was pregnant with my son, then when I realized he would grow up in a wired world I decided I better familiarize myself with the plethora of pleasures and pitfalls that lurk in the netherworld of cyberspace. Needless to say, my travels through this interstellar galaxy have been enlightning. But I'm getting a bit off topic...

In summary, the referenced article states that:

Compared with reading, the wealth of choices on the Internet requires that people make decisions about what to click on, which engages important cognitive circuits in the brain.

"A simple, everyday task like searching the Web appears to enhance brain circuitry in older adults, demonstrating that our brains are sensitive and can continue to learn as we grow older," Small said. The work was funded by the Parvin Foundation.

With more time and experience, the group that was new to the Web could eventually show the same brain activation patterns as their more Internet-savvy peers."


So don't loose hope techno-savants and techno-idiots alike, reading this blog is exercising your mind.
Now that's something to think about.

1 comment:

CruiserMel said...

Praise the Lord and pass the biscuits, I'm not wasting my time by reading blogs and watching youtube videos? Oh happy day!