Saturday, February 17, 2007

The Super Bowl


The New Year has officially begun.

The Daytona 500 is Sunday and this is Mardi Gras week.

You just thought that the game that was played on February 4 was the "Super Bowl".
The first Daytona 500 was in 1959 and the first "Super Bowl" was in 1967. Hmmmm...
43 drivers in stock cars racing at near 200 mph around a 2.5 mile super speedway is serious thrill seeking...and dangerous.

Now I know there have been accusations of "cheating" by several teams this week, but hey, I figure for the most part they are just testing the boundaries of the rulebook.
NASCAR is notorious for writing rules that are not specific, so the Crew Chiefs simply wiggle through the loopholes. It's a cat and mouse game to see who can squeeze extra aerodynamics out of their hot rod that might give them an edge on the track.
If it hasn't been specifically defined, then it isn't against the rules; even if it violates the "spirit" of the rules ~ that's the way most of the Crew Chief's look at it.

Now, there are those that say this gives a "black eye" to racing, but I'm not so sure.
These guys are being creative. Isn't that what Stock Car Racing is all about? The experiments learned from these cars, the aerodynamics, the accidents, etc...are taken back to the auto makers and adapted to vehicles that you and I purchase.


So, as far as I'm concerned, while NASCAR wants the teams to compete "equally", I encourage creativity.

Roll on, brother, in the wheel inside the wheel.

I'm hopping on board with the Krewe of the Crossbones.
Cheers.

1 comment:

CruiserMel said...

Woo hoo for Kevie! I knew I should've signed up for that fantasy racing. Dang. I'm a slacker.