Saturday, March 3, 2007

Blue Sun

And you thought you found me because of Firefly...

"Excuse me, while I kiss the sky."

That's ok. I'm a huge Firefly/Serenity fan.

I can do you one better.

Last weekend (2/24) over North Texas there was a REAL
Blue Sun.

No kidding.

Truly, dust can turn the sun blue. But it takes a special kind of dust. All the grains in the cloud must be about the same size and, for maximum blue, should measure about 1 millionth of a meter across. This makes the air behave like a blue filter.

And guess what, there was this weird dust storm that blew threw North Texas last Saturday that wreaked havoc, downing power lines with 60 mph winds, leaving homes without electricity and causing the cancellation of about 300 flights at DFW airport...and turned the sun blue.


The winds caused praire fires and even forced the evacuation of the Fort Hood Army base!

This was an eerie storm, but I am truly one of the priviledged few to experience a Blue Sun.

Take my love. Take my land.
Take me where I cannot stand.
I don't care, I'm still free.
You can't take the sky from me.


Harken: Seems odd you'd name your ship after a battle you were on the wrong side of.
Mal: May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one.*

*Remember the Alamo, March 6

3 comments:

Miranda said...

Firefly ROCKS!

And serenity, too. :D

Big fan too! :)

Nice blog, cheers from italy!

CruiserMel said...

Wow, I'm so glad I missed the second dust storm. I still haven't gotten over the first one. But what a cool picture! Love it.

Dezdmona said...

CM - You didn't miss the dust storm, it's the same one you remember. It just seems like a long time ago when you've been cruising.