Tuesday, June 23, 2009

A Conflicted Ray of Hope?

Is arguing a positive sign?

Mom has been so passive and confused these past months, but within the past few days she has become argumentative and accusatory. As uncomfortable as it is, I'm wondering if this change in her behavior could be related to increased awareness of her surroundings.

She is very upset that she is unable to drive and that I have her car at my house. I've tried to explain that the Doctor's have restricted her driving because of her medical condition, and that I'm willing to do her grocery shopping and bring her whatever she needs.

I'm not sure if she understands her medical condition or that she's even had surgery to correct it. I'm frustrated that she is resistent to taking the medication she needs to manage her diabetes, high blood pressure and slow her memory deterioration. She repeats that there is nothing wrong with her and thinks that it is "us" that are creating the problems.

Today, she was accusing my husband of being "behind" taking her car away from her. Which is the furthest thing from the truth. In all honesty, I have been the one consulting with Doctors. My husband hasn't consulted with any physicians regarding her care, nor does he have the authority. But it has been the physicians themselves that listen to my reports of her abilities and behaviors and make the determination as to whether she is safe to drive. And honestly, the last time I asked her to come to my house by 2:30pm and she arrived at 4:30pm...not aware of where the time had gone (I spoke with her at 2:00pm and she was "walking out the door"), is just an example of how skewed things had become.

Irregardless, I have to consider that this recent fixation on driving is a sign that her memory is improving slightly, which could lead to further improvement. Which is what we were praying for. Let's hope this is indeed the case, and the improvement continues...and that eventually she WILL be able to drive again.

1 comment:

jedivet said...

Sigh...hang in there, matey...