Thursday, June 11, 2009

The Day After...

Thanks everyone. Just got home. What a day.
We had big storms this morning with lots of flooding all around Dallas.
It took me 2 hours just to get into Mom's neighborhood so I could feed her cats.
All the roads surrounding her house were flooded.
I bet I turned around at least a half a dozen times before I found a way in that was safe.

Then I took my laptop to the FedEx store when I was supposed to take it to the UPS store...
After I got that worked out, we got something to eat and sailed on to the hospital.

Mom is pretty confused, and thinks she's ready to go home.
She figures if she can sit in a hospital bed, she can sit on the sofa at home.
She has little concept of the passage of time or even the reason that she is in the hospital.
Some things she can remember ok, others not so much.
She's also dizzy, which makes her a fall risk, and not suitable for release.
She's singularly focused on her cats and doesn't seem satisfied when I assure her that I'm taking good care of them.
They're her "children", and she wants to be with them.
I've tried to tell her she has to take care of herself before she can take care of them, but she doesn't seem to "get it".

The nurses in ICU have been just wonderful.
I applaud everyone who chooses to put up with these difficult people who make such unrealistic (and repetitive) demands of them.
I can assure you, at least in my Mom's case, she doesn't understand what she's doing.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thinking of you all. Hugs to Mom.

jedivet said...

Hugs from me, too.