Sunday, January 14, 2007

8 Seconds

We’re hanging out inside waiting out the ice storm, and Kokomo is flipping the television between the Football playoffs and the Dallas Mavericks game. After getting distracted by his laundry and the Football game he quickly flips back over to the Mavericks game…thinking that he probably missed the finish, but nope. In the ~30 minutes he has been otherwise distracted only 8 seconds have elapsed off the clock. Wha??? 8 seconds???

It is absolutely amazing how long it can take to play a second of this game, especially as the clock winds down. They actually break the seconds down into tenths of a second. There are coaches time outs of varying lengths and commercial breaks, (otherwise known as "official time outs") in the last minute of the game that can draw out that minute into twenty. While they play the last 10 seconds of the game, I’ve got time to go to the bathroom, move the laundry from the washer to the dryer, fold the clothes from the dryer and still have plenty of time left over.

I’m a Texas girl, raised on Football. Basketball was never on my radar. What’s with all these different time outs of different lengths in Basketball? I asked Kokomo how many each team gets, and what lengths they get and he just looked at me with his eyes glazing over and said “I don’t know”.
(I’m sure he does, he just didn’t want me to make fun of it in this post.)

Kokomo also rolled his eyes at me when I told him I was going to blog about this, but he wonder’s why it’s hard for me to watch 82 regular season basketball games even if the Mavericks do (currently) have the best record in the league. I dunno, if they get back into the playoffs I’ll watch, but they better not choke again like they did last year in Miami.

Ok..rant over, pour me some boat drinks and I'll kick back & oogle those finely tuned bodies till I pass out...

4 comments:

Williebee said...

On the one hand... the time out thing means you can skip all but the last 90 seconds of the game and still see almost all of it. On the other hand... there's that last 90 seconds of the game....

The NBA is proof that Bill Gates is a basketball fan. "Downloading in progress.... 1 minute remaining."

CruiserMel said...

Hey man, don't rain on my Mavs. The only thing wrong they've ever done in my book is let Steve Nash go to Phoenix. He was hot. Yummm.. Oh, what were we talking about?

Dezdmona said...

williebee - OMG your right! It's like my connection to the NBA is on dial-up..either that or the file is too large too squeeze into my pea brain!

Mel - Hey, I'm a Homer. I support my local teams. BBall just doesn't do it for me like Football or Baseball.
But you gotta admit that the Mavs blew the Title when they had it in their hands.

CruiserMel said...

I block stuff out like that. Zero memory. Okay, yeah, there it is. Gee thanks, dez.